Saturday, October 17, 2009

Steamed Tofu AKA 老少平安

Traditionally, this steamed dish is made up of mainly tofu and fish paste. And egg white is added to bind these two ingredients together. But over the time, many different versions have been adapted. Mushrooms, dried shrimps and minced meat are being added.

As a parent myself, I wish for the well-being of the elderly and the young in my family more than anything else. And the name of this dish - 老少平安 (loosely translated as: safe and well-being of both elderly and young) always bring a smile on my face as these 4 simple words carry an important and heartwarming message.

Both tofu and fish paste are soft so the elderly and the young can enjoy this dish without worrying not having strong teeth to chew on the food properly or choking on fish bones. Practically a safe dish for all ages. Thus the Chinese name.

Personally, I feel that this dish doesn't really break up into pieces that easily so I omitted the egg white in my recipe.



Ingredients
300g of tofu
200g of fish paste
Cooked oil
Soya sauce
Pepper

Preparation
Mash up the tofu and mix well with fish paste.
Set in a shallow dish.
Using medium heat, steam for 10-15 minutes.
Drizzle cooked oil, soya sauce and a dash of pepper before serving.
Garnish with spring onion or coriander. (optional)



0 comments: