Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cincalok Omelette

Nonya cooking is the result of blending Chinese ingredients and wok cooking techniques with spices used by the Malay/Indonesian community. Nonya food is often noted for the tangy, aromatic and spicy taste.

There are regional variations in Nonya cooking. Dishes from the island of Penang in the northern part of Peninsular Malaysia show Thai influences, such as more liberal use of tamarind and other sour ingredients. Dishes from Singapore and Malacca show a greater Indonesian influence, such as the use of coconut milk. A classic example is laksa (a spicy noodle soup), which comes in two variants: the sour asam laksa from Penang and the coconut milk-based laksa lemak from Singapore and the southern regions of Peninsular Malaysia. - Wikipedia

The recipe I am sharing here is Cincalok Omelette. That is just one of the many great Nonya dishes. But for some reasons, this dish is not exactly popular. It is not a street-food unlike Nonya laksa and Otah. Only restaurants that specifically serve Peranakan cuisine have Cincalok Omelette on their menu.

I got this recipe from a magazine cutting passed to me by my sister. She knows I like cooking and that I own a food blog. So, she has been helping me to collect tons of cuttings of recipes to show her support. Haha!



Ingredients
3 eggs
100g of large onions
3/4 tablespoon of cincalok
1 red chili (thinly sliced)
Spring onions (chopped)

Preparation
Break eggs in a bowl.
Add cincalok and beat the eggs.
Add in onions, chili and spring onions.
In an oiled pan, fry over low heat until omelette is cooked.

* Fun Fact: Our MM is a Peranakan too!

3 comments:

77ask said...

googled cincalok fried egg and found your blog.

used your method to fry my first cincalok fried egg! (bought the cincalok from malacca few weeks ago)

Thanks

what else can I do with cincalok?

77ask said...

Hey,

U forgot to tell me to drain out the juice of the cincalok

Anonymous said...

Hi, hope you like my recipe.

You can include the juice of the cincalok but not too much. Cooking time will take slightly longer due to the extra moisture.

So far, I've only tried cooking cincalok omelette. Most of the time, I use it as a dipping sauce for steamboat, steamed conch etc. ^^