Friday, January 30, 2009

ABC Soup

This is my all-time favorite. My Mom used to cook this soup for me very often. I was told that this soup helps to detoxify our body system. And I love the name - ABC Soup. So cute! The reason behind this adorable name is simply because the soup contains vitamins A, B and C. 

Tomato contains natural antioxidants. And it's rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, iron and potassium. 
Potato contains vitamins and minerals vital to human nutrition. It supplies A and D but also contains vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B6, iron and zinc etc.
Carrot is rich in vitamin A, contains dietary fiber, antioxidants and minerals.
Onion contains protein, calcium, provitamin A, B, C and E.
My Mom enjoys playing around with this soup. Sometimes, she'll add corn to it, other times, celery or tomatoes. I prefer the tomatoes version myself. Find it rather refreshing, thus sharing this recipe.


Ingredients
1 carrot (abt 100g, remove skin, cut into small chunks)
1 potato (abt 100g, remove skin, cut into small chunks)
1 tomato (abt 100g, cut into small chunks)
1 large yellow onion (abt 150g, remove skin, cut into small chunks)
1/2 - 1 dried octopus
250g of spare ribs

Preparation
Parboil the ribs, set aside and drain.
Fill a pot with 800ml of water.
Toss all the remaining ingredients inside.
Return the parboiled ribs into the pot when the water starts to boil.
Simmer for an hour.
Add salt to taste.

0 comments: